Instant hedging is the ultimate way to achieve show garden standards without the wait. If you’re planning to make the most of the warm weather with garden parties and days spent lounging on the lawn, instant hedging can create an established hedge quickly, offering privacy, colour and texture.
Instant hedging is grown in a metre long trough and is regularly pruned to give you a solid hedging unit that has already knitted together, both foliage and roots, providing a healthy hedge with a high success rate. Instant hedging can be purchased year-round and comes delivered in either a trough or bag for easy planting. Available in a range of hedging species, including our most popular species, our instant troughs will look great in any garden.
Instant hedges are easy to plant but will require two people to lift. Follow our planting instructions below, using one trough for every one metre of planting site:
How to plant instant hedging
- Start by digging a trench roughly as deep as the instant hedging trough or bag, leaving enough additional space to dig in some well-rotted organic matter.
- Next, sprinkle Rootgrow in the bottom of the trench, following the recommended quantities found on the packet.
- Remove the hedging unit (you’ll need two people for this), and place it in the trench.
- Backfill and firm the hedging unit down into the trench.
- Water your new hedge well and then sit back and enjoy the instant impact it adds to your garden.
To achieve the same effect using hedging plants with a different root type, such as bare roots or pot grown plants, would take between 2-5 years of growth and maintenance. This means that although instant hedging has a slightly higher cost, it’s relative to the time, skill and resources that have been put into creating a ready-made, finished hedging unit that provides instant results in your garden.