In light of Ginuary, we’ve decided that it’s about time we celebrated making it through January (and another lockdown) with gin! We may not be able to head out to our favourite gin bars just yet, so lets bring the cocktails home.
Ever wondered how gin is made?
You start with a neutral grain alcohol and then add a variety of natural, distilled botanicals to reach the desired taste. The more skilled the gin distiller, the higher quality the product.
Here are some examples of the botanicals added to give each gin its unique flavour:
- Citrus peel
Right, enough science, you’re ready to bring your local gin bars to the kitchen and re-create some of your favourite gin cocktails!
Gin Cocktail Recipes
Rosemary Gin Fizz
- Lemon juice
- Sugar syrup (half sugar half water mix)
- Soda water
Here’s the steps:
- Squeeze a whole lemon into your glass (around 30ml of juice)
- Add 3 rosemary sprigs
- Add 30ml of sugar syrup
- Add 60ml of your favourite gin
- Add to a glass with ice and stir
- Top up with soda water
- Dry Gin
- Sweet vermouth
- Orange peel
And the steps:
- Grab your fanciest looking glass (very important)
- Add 30ml of each spirit to a glass and stir
- Add ice and do another quick stir
- Add a peel of orange
- 50ml Gin
- 7ml Dry Vermouth
- Lemon peel or olive
- Mix the spirits together in a glass with ice
- Strain into a martini glass (or wine/prosecco glass)
- Add a lemon peel or olive depending on your preference (they’re both great so why not make both!)
Don’t forget to charge your family members, you’re a pro now!