Rose Petal Jam Recipe
This jam makes a wonderful treat on your morning toast, is a great alternative to sugar when mixed with your porridge and can be used for an unusual, tasty cake filling.
Recipe makes 3 large jars
1.5 litres wild rose petals (lightly pressed in the measuring jug)
1kg granulated sugar
Few drops of rosewater (optional)
1. Start by rinsing and drying the rose petals to make sure any dirt is washed away. Place the rose petals into a large bowl and cover completely with the sugar. If you have the time, leave this to macerate overnight, if not, move straight to step 2; the overall result and taste will not be effected.
2. Cut the skin off the lemons with a sharp knife, ensuring you remove all the pith. This is best done over a bowl to collect any juice.
3. Combine the rose petal and sugar mixture with the lemon skin and juice, then in a large saucepan add the 850ml water. Begin by stirring over a low heat and when the sugar has completely dissolved, stop stirring and increase the heat until the mixture is boiling rapidly. The temperature needs to reach above 104.5°c (normal jam setting point), and at this point the mixture should change from a pink colour to a slightly more orangey shade.
4. Next, you need to check for set by using a method called the wrinkle test. Spoon a small amount of the mixture onto a cold plate and then place in the fridge for a couple of minutes. If a skin appears on the jam and it wrinkles when you push it with your finger, you have reached setting point and you are ready for step 5. If the mixture doesn’t wrinkle, boil the mixture again for a further 5 minutes, then redo the test.
5. This rose petal jam has a loose-set and doesn’t need to be fully firm, so as long as a small amount of wrinkling occurs, your jam is ready for the final step. Before doing this, taste your jam and, if desired, add a few drops of rosewater to achieve a slightly stronger flavour.
6. Finally, leave your mixture to stand for 10 minutes, warm and sterilise your jars and then fill with jam and seal immediately.