Privet hedge plants, referred to by its Latin name Ligustrum ovalifolium, have lustrous, dark-green foliage. A semi-evergreen hedging species, Ligustrum ovalifolium is one of best4hedging’s top 10. Ligustrum ovalifolium has stunning oval leaves that clip beautifully, to create a dense and neat form that thrives in most soil conditions and position. Privet hedge plants are a popular choice for hedging and carry many benefits, including being a fast-growing shrub. It’s also ideal for garden screening, windproofing and noise reduction, as well as being tolerant of pollution, making it the perfect hedging choice for built-up, urban areas. While this shrub boasts stunning creamy white flowers that appear during the summer months, they are generally trimmed off.
- Best Features: Dark glossy foliage, pollution tolerant, year-round interest
- Ideal For Hedges: 1m-4m high
- Growth Rate: Average to Fast | 30-60cm a year
- Position: Most normal soils, sunny, semi-shade, sheltered or exposed, inland and coastal
- Also Consider: As well as Common Privet, we also stock other varieties of Privet hedging, including Golden Privet, which offers variegated, evergreen foliage and Wild Privet, with a slightly more natural, bushier habit providing a less formal aesthetic.