10 reasons to choose Western Red Cedar
One of best4hedging’s top ten best-selling species, Western Red Cedar, also known as Thuja plicata, is a popular conifer hedge plant which displays incredible shades of mid to dark green. This fantastic species has an abundance of uses in a garden and is a popular alternative to the famous Leylandii. Here are our 10 reasons to choose Western Red Cedar:
- It has a dense, bushy habit which can be utilised for an effective privacy screen, windbreak & noise reducing feature.
- Its evergreen foliage means its attractive colour will be present throughout the seasons.
- Unlike other conifers, you can cut into old wood without causing any damage.
- They are available as huge root balls, up to 7m in height.
- It emits a delightful scent, similar to pineapple which contributes to the sensory element of a garden (try crushing the foliage between your hands and smelling).
- It has an annual growth rate of 30-60cm, so it will reach a desired height in a short period of time.
- It’s easy to maintain as it only needs pruning twice a year. Once in spring, followed by a light prune in autumn.
- Occasionally, small cones appear and decorate the branches.
- Its foliage creates a safe and secure nesting ground for a range of garden birds and other wildlife.
- You can purchase Western Red Cedar year round as we supply pot grown plants in a variety of sizes, suitable for all types of gardening needs.
Facts you may not know about Western Red Cedar:
- Its Latin name, Thuja plicata, with plicata coming from the word plicare meaning folded in plaits or braids, signifies the unique pattern of the scale-like leaves.
- It’s Native to western North America
- Its wood is extensively used for outdoor construction and its light weight, strength and warm sounds makes it a popular choice for guitar soundboards.
See below our video which explains everything you need to know about this fantastic hedge plant:
You can see even more species specific videos and how to guides on our YouTube channel.