English Yew hedge plants (Taxus baccata) are known as the King of Hedging. With dark-green, conifer foliage that is easily trimmed and has a slow growth rate, this is an ideal hedging choice for creating Topiary shapes such as Topiary Balls. With a looser growing habit than the more commonly used Box Topiary, Taxus baccata topiary balls can be used in a slightly more informal garden setting, or alongside Box Topiary Balls to create contrast.
- Best Features: Evergreen foliage, year-round interest, slow-growing for easy maintenance, RHS Hedging
- Ideal For Hedges: Garden features, patios, punctuating hedges, doorways and entranceways
- Growth Rate: Slow to Average | 20-40cm a year
- Position: Any normal soil (or dry if watered), sun to full shade, exposed inland
- Also Consider: Pot grown English Yew to create your own topiary, Box Topiary Balls for the classic topiary look, or Ilex Crenata Topiary Balls for another alternative topiary species, which like Yew, is resistant to Box blight.